AREAS OF CONFLUENCE: CORPORATIONS, SCHOOLS, THE WORLD
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- One of the necessary and critical opportunities business has, is to have their leaders prepare young people for life.
- In each setting and situation, the adults in the room, have an opportunity and an obligation to create a positive climate and culture.
- To provide a common understanding and definition of what ‘‘right’ and “good” look like.
- The potential for thriving is universal, but so to is the existence of adversity. Young people can overcome adversities, but the ease of doing so is not equally shared.
- Individuals learn and develop across their lifespan in response to the people with whom they interact.
- Collaborative research and policy efforts underscore the critical and reparative role of identity – safe, culturally driven, and relationship-rich environments – in classrooms, schools, and communities—for the healthy social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development of all learners.
- Transformative Learning & Development is the optimization of a learner’s ability to translate specific experiences and content into real world applications.
- Context is also crucial for learning. Youth learn better in environments that demonstrate and emphasize safety, inclusiveness, equity, support and connectedness.
- Educational equity, however, cannot be achieved without a focus on diversity.
Impacting the World
- Improving the odds for success is linked to the capacity to thrive – to feel, be, and be seen as competent in multiple life situations.
- Teaching our youth to navigate and thrive in the VUCA world (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous) they live in will improve the odds and prepare them for their life journey.
- Thriving reflects a sense of positive and long-lasting growth and success.
- Systemic changes are needed in every system – not just law enforcement and education. Fundamental changes in beliefs and mindsets are needed in every adult.